Dr. Omopeju Afanu
DR. OMOPEJU AFANU is well versed in project management, finance and administration with experience in managing different scales of projects earning her the position of Managing Director and Vice President/COO of a few organizations.
She has been involved in conceptualizing and developing economic growth projects for companies and government for national development. She has also been consulting for various companies in the conceptualization, design and execution of turn-key Hotel and Real Estate Development projects in Lagos, Port Harcourt, Benin, Abeokuta, Calabar, Obudu, Afikpo, Ilorin and Monrovia as designer and creative consultant, supervising all Interior Designs, Fittings and Furnishings and Project Management.
She has undergone a few professional courses as follows: Interior Design at the National Design Academy, U.K.; Project Management at the University of Adelaide; Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), U.K. (in view) and; PRINCE2 Project Management Certification (in view).
She has successfully completed courses in Developing Future Cities at ETH Zurich, Switzerland; Professional Protocol and Etiquette course at the Charleston School of Protocol and Etiquette, U.S.A.; The World Bank Group course on Financing for Development and was certified as a Development Specialist with Distinction; An Introductory course on Private Equity and Venture Capital at University of Bocconi, Spain; Entrepreneurial Management at Enterprise Development Centre of the Pan-Atlantic University sponsored by the World Bank Group (Women-X Programme).
Her overall entrepreneurial experience span over 15 years commencing as a student in the University of Ibadan while her management experience span over a period of ten years thus acquiring a robust experience in Entrepreneurship, Management, Administration, Finance and other related areas in the private sectors of the economy. She has been responsible for sourcing, managing and training staff for various projects. She was also an expert resource for the Cross River State 30-year Growth and Development Strategy under the auspices of Cross River State Government Planning Commission.
She is the Country Director in Nigeria for The Women Empowerment and Development Platform (TWEDP) an NGO dedicated to the growth and empowerment of women at grassroots level as well as supporting children of poor families in public schools by providing them with resources as well as opportunities for qualitative education. She is one of the Directors of the Cromwell International Foundation for the Needy a social enterprise being set up in the U.K. to cater to children with Special Educational Needs. She is the President of her Women-X cohort (Women-X 12) comprising 35 other women and initiated the Women-X Alumni community project comprising of over 500 women that participated in the Women-X Programme. She was the Director of Government Affairs of the Women in Hospitality Nigeria (WIHN) Initiative.
Dr. Afanu also provides mentorship and other support to women in business. She is a mentor for the Tony Elumelu Entrepreneurship Programme (2017 till date). She is a programme/course facilitator for Stylemark Pro Enterprise Academy an online business training platform targeted at Female Entrepreneurs; Top-Private Security Services and Kingdom Partners Assembly. She is a member of the Advisory Board of Nenis Autocare a female owned automobile garage.
Dr. Afanu has presented various papers at local and international seminars and conferences:
- 15th International H.S.E. Biennial Conference on the Oil and Gas Industry in Nigeria organized by the Department of Petroleum Resources, Nigeria
Title: Tank Maintenance Protocol, Waste Management and HSE Management Systems and their Relationship to Environment Management, 2012
- Development Project Proposal to the Executive Governor of Ogun State, Nigeria
Title: Lisabi Century City Development (a luxury real estate development comprising of residential, commercial and industrial zones with an 18 hole Golf Course), 2013
- An application-based paper at the Global Conference on Business and Finance organized by The Institute for Business and Finance Research in Las Vegas, U.S.A.
Title: Nigeria as an Emerging Market: Investment Hub for Venture Capitalist and Private Equity Funds, 2015
- Published a paper on a global platform (slide share) as her final project for the World Bank Course on Financing for Development
Title: The Path to Agricultural Development and Food Security in sub-Saharan Africa: Case Study Nigeria, 2015
- An application-based paper presented at the Prelaunch Event for The Women Empowerment and Development Platform (TWEDP), London, United Kingdom
Title: Women Empowerment: Charting the way forward for Financial Inclusion and Economic Growth, July 2016
- An application-based paper approved for presentation at the 37th International Business Research Conference in Las Vegas, U.S.A
Title: The challenges of accessing funds by Female Entrepreneurs in Sub Saharan Africa: Shattering the Glass Ceiling, August 2016
- A policy driven paper presented to the Edo State Governor at the Edo State Agribusiness Workshop, Benin City – Edo State, Nigeria
Title: Harnessing Resources and Opportunities to Optimize Agribusiness in Edo State, Nigeria; Case Study: Fruit and Vegetables Critical Success Factors, January 2017
- A policy driven paper presented at the Cross River State Growth and Development Strategy Visioning Workshop, Calabar – Cross River State, Nigeria
Title: Cross River State Economic Development Roadmap/Strategy: Sustainable Development Breakout Session Report, May 2017
- An application-based poster presentation at the United Nations International Conference for Sustainable Development, New York. U.S.A.
Title: Achieving a Greener Environment: Implication on the Economy of OPEC – Case Study of Nigeria, September 2017
- International Women’s Day 2018 organized by the Enterprise Development Center
- International Widows Day 2018 organized by Media Women Forum
- Nigerian Society of Engineers 2018 Public Lecture: Starting a New Business: The Challenges Facing Engineers (The Slot Story)
- Kingdom Partners Assembly 2018 Career Workshop: Zero to Zenith
Seminars, Trainings, Conferences and Outreach Programmes Organized
The Women Empowerment and Development Platform, Lagos December 2016
Global Entrepreneurship Week (GEW) Women Enterprise Day, Calabar 2017: Synergy and Competition: Catalyst for Growth?
Top-Private Security Services Ltd/Ocean Marine Solutions: Staff Productivity Enhancement Training, Warri and Port Harcourt 2018
International Women’s Day, Lagos 2018: Press for Progress by Leaving no Woman Behind: Moving From Grass to Grace
Entrepreneurs Platform Initiative Seminar, Lagos 2018: Against all Odds Series